Contemptuous ridicule or mockery: my stories were greeted with derision and disbelief
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Contempt and derision were now poured not upon the heretical supporters of change, but upon their orthodox opponents.
- Serious debate is not welcome in the mainstream; dissent is treated with derision and contempt, or ignored.
- The name itself connotes derision and contempt for the inhabitants of the compound.
contempt, vilification, obloquy;
hold (or have) in derision
- archaic Regard with mockery.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The mouth of one with understanding is praised by a man, but the dull of heart is held in derision.
- Again, there is comedy as she undergoes training for her royal role and tries to reconcile royalty with being held in derision by her school contemporaries.
- It is a scandal - and surely the deepest of ironies - that he should be ignored, scorned or held in derision in the very places where knowledge and wisdom are deemed to be sought and taught.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- I arrived at the Exam Schools this morning to find that all lectures had been cancelled because of a derisible sit-in protest.
- Workers can passionately complain about some derisible human specimen, only to be seen joking heartily with them seconds later.
- Fines as set are often derisible for motoring infringements.