- Showing a critical or disrespectful attitude: she tells me I’m fat and is always making derogatory remarksMás ejemplos en oraciones
disparaging, denigratory, belittling, diminishing, slighting, deprecatory, depreciatory, depreciative, detracting, deflating; disrespectful, demeaning, discrediting, dishonouring; critical, pejorative, negative, unfavourable, disapproving, uncomplimentary, unflattering, insulting; offensive, personal, abusive, vituperative, rude, spiteful, nasty, mean; hurtful, damaging, injurious; defamatory, slanderous, libellous, scurrilous, calumnious, calumniatory, vilifying, traducing• archaic contumelious
- The people who made the derogatory remarks were a group whose tongues may have been loosened by drink.
- I was disappointed that he had to resort to derogatory and intolerant remarks to try to be funny.
- People have lost their jobs over derogatory remarks made in blogs, but can you be sued for libel or defamation?
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Many of the incomers (or ‘white settlers’, as they are sometimes derogatorily known) are seeking a better quality of life away from the big cities.
- Roma, derogatorily known as gypsies, have lived in Eastern Europe since about 1300.
- This is why serious astrologers shrink away from what is somewhat derogatorily referred to as ‘sun-sign astrology‘.
early 16th century (in the sense 'impairing in force or effect'): from late Latin derogatorius, from derogat- 'abrogated', from the verb derogare (see derogate).