Definición de detribalize en inglés:
verbo[with object] (usually as adjective detribalized)
1Remove (someone) from a traditional tribal social structure: the 250,000 Australian Aboriginals include many detribalized urban people
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Until very recently, the main thrust of federal policy was to break up the extended family, the clan structure, to detribalize and assimilate Indian populations.
- His life proved that he was a highly detribalised African.
- It is less practised among those Gikuyu who have been Europeanised or detribalised.
1.1Remove a traditional tribal social structure from (a culture).
- Tribal societies, unlike detribalized, fragmented cultures with their stress on individualist values, are extremely austere morally.
- The supposed goal was to detribalize the economy and culture and drop Indians into the "free" market where private enterprise would assimilate them.
- Example sentences
- The main anxiety of British administrators then was the threat of ‘detribalization,’ their word for a perceived social dislocation resulting from urbanization and migration for wage labor.
- This brings up the issue of Tom's ‘detribalization.’
- It is also true that detribalization is, as Mahmood Mamdani showed, ‘the mere starting point in the reorganisation of the bifurcated power created by the colonial power’.
Definición de detribalize en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan