- 1A dome-shaped muscular partition separating the thorax from the abdomen in mammals. It plays a major role in breathing, as its contraction increases the volume of the thorax and so inflates the lungs.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Contraction of the expiratory muscles displaces the abdomen inward and the diaphragm upward into the thorax during exhalation.
- Metastatic tumor was also found in the thyroid gland, pericardium, myocardium, bilateral lungs, diaphragm, bilateral kidneys, and liver.
- Separating the chest from the abdomen, the diaphragm (pronounced: die-uh-fram) plays a lead role in breathing.
- 2A thin sheet of material forming a partition.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In this way the stalk expands radially to form a hemifusion diaphragm.
- The trans layers make contact and produce an axially symmetric hemifusion diaphragm.
- New growth cycles began with the formation of new basal diaphragms and lateral walls of living chambers.
- 2.1A taut flexible membrane in mechanical or acoustic systems.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The flexible metal diaphragm provides expansion capability to partially compensate for thermal expansion mismatch between the liquids and the cylinder.
- The diaphragm is a flexible disk made of sheet metal with ridges carved into it.
- A diaphragm extends around the shaft and defines fluidly separate upper and lower chambers within a valve body.
- 3A thin contraceptive cap fitting over the cervix.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Find out from this factsheet by the fpa how contraceptive diaphragms and caps work, how effective they are at preventing pregnancy and their advantages and disadvantages.
- Barrier methods of contraception include diaphragms, condoms and cervical caps.
- Following his logic, we would have to say that Catholics who insist on using contraceptives should opt for condoms or diaphragms.
- 4A device for varying the effective aperture of the lens in a camera or other optical system.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- If you know how the combination of a shutter, a lens, a diaphragm, and a light meter can make a picture.
- From the images above you can clearly see the lenses are identical even down to the aperture diaphragm, which begs the question is the lens in the PhotoPC 3000Z a Carl Zeiss design?
- It is not much unlike a conventional camera in the conception of design, consisting of a lens and a diaphragm that adjust the focus and control the amount of light coming through.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- They also found he was suffering from a diaphragmatic hernia.
- The relationship between diaphragmatic surface area and a given lung volume may be different during active breathing.
- Prolonged mechanical ventilation results in diaphragmatic atrophy and contractile dysfunction, but its effect on the rate of protein synthesis is not known.
late Middle English: from late Latin diaphragma, from Greek, from dia 'through, apart' + phragma 'a fence'.
Más definiciones de diaphragmDefinición de diaphragm en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.