Definición de dichogamy en inglés:
sustantivo[mass noun] Botany
The ripening of the stamens and pistils of a flower at different times, so that self-fertilization is prevented. Compare with homogamy (sense 3).
- However, the form of dichogamy (protogyny and protandry) is likely to have different consequences for autogamy versus geitonogamy.
- Flowering plants have several mechanisms that have evolved to prevent self-fertilization, e.g. self-incompatibility systems, heterostyly and dichogamy.
- However, if flowering is asynchronous and the behaviour of individual pollinators does not follow a regular pattern within a plant, dichogamy might have little effect on reducing geitonogamy.
mid 19th century: from Greek dikho- 'apart, in two' + gamos 'marriage'.
- Example sentences
- Darwin deduced that the first flowers to open sometimes aborted because they were of no use in dichogamous hermaphrodite plants.
- Flowers are unisexual, dichogamous in nature and, thus, most species are open-pollinated.
- The breeding system of the dichogamous hermaphrodite species Silene acutifolia, endemic to north-west Spain and north and central Portugal, is examined.
Definición de dichogamy en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan