sustantivo (plural difficulties)[mass noun]
- 1The state or condition of being difficult: Guy had no difficulty in making friends I managed with difficulty to struggle uprightMás ejemplos en oraciones
strain, struggling, awkwardness, trouble, toil, labour, laboriousness, strenuousness, arduousness; pains, problems, trials and tribulations• informal hassle, stresscomplicatedness, intricacy, perplexity, knottiness, awkwardness; difficultness, trickiness, hardness; obscurity, abstruseness
- The lack of air in a birth chart can indicate difficulty in the expression of that person.
- Monet's desire to become a painter was something his father accepted with difficulty.
- No wonder we have such difficulty in getting really good candidates to stand.
- 1.1 [count noun] A thing that is hard to accomplish, deal with, or understand: there is a practical difficulty a club with financial difficultiesMás ejemplos en oraciones
problem, complication, issue, disadvantage, snag, hitch, drawback, pitfall, handicap, impediment, hindrance, obstacle, hurdle, stumbling block, obstruction, barrierBritish • informal spanner in the worksNorth American • informal monkey wrench in the works• dated cumber• literary trammel
- In addition, some firms encounter difficulties in understanding the new rules of the game.
- I have the professional experience that allows me to understand his difficulties.
- School was very hard for me but doing sports helped me deal with the difficulties of it.
- 1.2 (difficulties) A situation that is difficult or dangerous: they went for a swim but got into difficultiesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He got into difficulties almost immediately and disappeared beneath the water.
- In two separate incidents, two divers got into difficulties in Scapa Flow on Sunday.
- He had got into difficulties in the Atlantis outdoor swimming pool on Sunday afternoon.
late Middle English (in the senses 'requiring effort or skill' and 'something difficult'): from Latin difficultas, from dis- (expressing reversal) + facultas 'ability, opportunity'.