Definición de dinkum en inglés:
- By the time I arrived scenes reminiscent of the end of World War II were already underway, but I interrupted the spontaneous dancing to grab these quotes from dinkum Aussies who have been doing it tough.
- It is light and satisfying, the flakiness - the result of using real butter, unbleached flour and no preservatives - is the dinkum deal.
- Which was just as well, really - for as every dinkum Aussie knows, booing the Prime Minister at sporting events is the Australian way.
adverbioVolver al principio
fair (or square or straight) dinkum
- Used to emphasize or seek confirmation of the genuineness or truth of something: Eric and his assistant are fair dinkum magicians ‘Burt’s just told me he’s packing up in a month.’ ‘Fair dinkum?’Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Don't worry about me; I swear to you, straight dinkum, that I am absolutely comfortable.
- I'll buy you the best wedding bouquet in Ballarat — square dinkum, I will!
- No, fair dinkum that's what Mr Stanhope said in answer to a question from the ALP's Senator Sue Mackay who had asked how Telstra could justify the new charge, which starts in July.
- 1.1Used to emphasize that behaviour complies with accepted standards: they were asking a lot for the car, but fair dinkum considering its list priceMás ejemplos en oraciones
- ‘We have been making hard decisions to show that this guarantee is fair dinkum, that our low interest rate guarantee is fair dinkum,’ he declared.
- But to show just how fair dinkum and innocent of any charges or accusations they are - their lawyers have writs virtually flying out the door that will legally prove the media are liars and character assassins.
- At Albrecht, the crowd was down, but with two neutral umpires centre stage and vital premiership points on offer, play was fair dinkum from the first delivery.
Late 19th century: of unknown origin.
In the late 19th century dinkum, an English dialect word meaning ‘hard work, honest toil’, took up residence in Australasia. In fair dinkum it can describe an honest, straightforward person, a genuine article, or acceptable behaviour, and is particularly used to emphasize or seek confirmation of the genuineness or truth of something.
Palabras que riman con dinkummodicum • hypericum
Definición de dinkum en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.