- As a family friend with no further ambitions, he was able to offer disinterested advice to the inexperienced future president.
- An adjudicator must be, and must be seen to be, disinterested, unbiased and impartial.
- Now, this notion of disinterested advice may also repay a claimant's examination.
- A few women, however, began disinterested and grew more interested in the program over time.
- With this new and bold initiative, we have shown to the world that Indian women are not politically passive or disinterested in public life.
- At one in the morning, the Canadian border patrol guards were bored and disinterested.
Nowhere are the battle lines more deeply drawn in usage questions than over the difference between disinterested and uninterested. According to traditional guidelines, disinterested should never be used to mean ‘not interested’ (i.e. it is not a synonym for uninterested) but only to mean ‘impartial’, as in the judgements of disinterested outsiders are likely to be more useful. Ironically, the earliest recorded sense of disinterested is for the disputed sense. Today, the ‘incorrect’ use of disinterested is widespread: around a quarter of citations in the Oxford English Corpus for disinterested are for this sense.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- I saw a number of people crying at the veterans’ rally, and a number of people drifting around disinterestedly.
- With no selfish motive, or desire to be awarded here or hereafter, quite disinterestedly have I devoted my life to the cause of independence, because I could not do otherwise.
- Even as Manuel reprimanded them during his speech, many sat there disinterestedly, napped or kept busy with other things.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The problem is that the particularism of friendship is at odds with modern conceptions of virtue as disinterestedness and detachment.
- The classical approach emphasizes scholarly disinterestedness and detachment.
- One has to establish the credibility of the evidence; and the credibility of witnesses always depends on their disinterestedness.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: dis|in¦ter|est¦ed
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.