- Minimum safe distances are computed by adding the maximum pattern radius plus three circular error probable.
- Carrying luggage, changing planes and walking long distances are hassles that most travelers must face.
- American customers travel long distances at speed on smooth, straight highways.
- There is too much distance, a tragic remoteness in our fellowship.
- It's hard for me to tell from this distance what condition the fields are in and the absolute best plan of attack.
- They're some significant distance away from being able to create it on their own, even if they can create it.
- I only ever saw him on TV, or at a distance in the town centre.
- Scotland, then, is a place to be viewed at a distance.
- From a distance, the village looked like a holiday trailer park surrounded by grotesque, wind-sculptured trees.
- I craned my neck to try and see into the distance but all I could see was a bunch of lights in the distance.
- A couple of dots in the distance were visible on the ground.
- Stretching, Jim looked around, taking note of the large land masses visible in the distance to either side of them.
- For others, the distance of three years makes what happened feel both implausible and unforgivable.
- But I cannot look upon these plans at a distance of six months, without feeling that past events ought to teach me how little I can depend on the future.
- In my memory there is a stillness, a quietness about her that I can still feel, that is almost visible, even in the distance of many years.
- Kiplagat spotted Kiptoo's potential a year and a half before her camp was officially opened and persuaded her to race longer distances.
- It will be an Olympic distance triathlon with a 1.5km swim, a 40 km cycle ride and a 10 km run.
- In one-loft racing all birds race the same distance and there is a single finishing point.
- The seven-year-old took full advantage of evens favourite Jair du Cochet unseating his rider at the fourth from home to win by a distance.
- After triumphing by a distance in 1965, Arkle was a warm favourite to follow up the following year.
- The four I've won here have all been won by a distance and every one has been as sweet as the last.
- Most of the "Kentucky horses" made the distance and were able to continue on.
- Hersisia, 29, has won all of his 21 bouts so far with 16 stoppages inside the distance.
- So they continued until Nijinsky had gone two lengths clear inside the distance.
- In the same year, Larry had 12 fights, winning all bouts some inside the distance.
- Dimbleby will be advantaged by the fact that he has never been in BBC programming management and that he has a blend of familiarity yet distance.
- I wanted her to either slap me or show me some warmth, the emotional distance was too much to bear.
- The very nature of genre fiction distances the reader from these issues.
- Mahathir has attempted to shore up his position by trying to distance the government from corruption allegations.
- The strangely melancholy beauty of these places can't be traversed - we're hopelessly distanced from nature.
- But distancing ourselves seems to be the only way to lessen the struggle.
- With The Invisible Man, he was intent on distancing himself as much as possible from the darkness of his past.
- He turned his back towards me as if distancing himself emotionally from me.
- He gave way after the first half-mile and was distanced.
- Sir Archy was distanced in the first two heats, but salvaged the final heat.
distance lends enchantment to the view
- proverb Things look better from further away.Oraciones de ejemplo
- Maybe distance lends enchantment to the view, but I remember him being quite good.
- Ah, but distance lends enchantment to the view; when you see a ship five miles away, she is as beautiful as a swan.
- There is a certain uncanny fascination about haunted houses, but it is one of which it may emphatically be said that distance lends enchantment to the view.
go the distance
- Boxing Complete a fight without being knocked out: he went the distance after being floored in the first roundMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The former WBC champion last year went the distance with Germany's Sven Ottke in an IBF title fight.
- Who knows what they would have scored had the fight gone the distance?
- I'm guessing that Ellis would have won a decision if the fight had gone the distance.
- 2.1(Of a boxing match) last the scheduled length: six of his fights went the distanceMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In other words, if a bowler didn't put his opponent away early, he was in trouble - especially if the match went the distance.
- This time he makes no mistake and the match will go the distance.
- Hunter drew level after the restart but the match looked destined to go the distance as neither man could take control.
- Baseball 2.2 Pitch for the entire length of a game: he went the distance on the moundMás ejemplos en oraciones
- But it had been a little alarming that Maddux, who three times has led the N.L. in complete games, hadn't gone the distance.
- Wells allowed one run on eight hits, while going the distance on just 100 pitches - with only 19 called balls.
- Toney went the distance for his 10-inning no-hitter.
- 2.3Last for a long time: this amplifier system should go the distanceMás ejemplos en oraciones
- They are prepared to go the distance on the running machine to stay in the playground of youth.
- The fact that the series even went the distance certainly serves as a testament to the vast improvement that UW has undergone in the past two seasons.
- When was the last time a move to amend the Constitution went the distance and actually occurred?
keep one's distance
- Stay far away: keep your distance from birds feeding their youngMás ejemplos en oraciones
- If equipped with long range weapons they will keep their distance and try to stay away from your reach.
- So I decided to keep my distance and stay where I was by my car door.
- Both had done all the right things, the family said - they stayed together, avoided heavy drinking sessions, and kept their distance from local youths.
- 3.1Maintain one’s reserve: you had to say nothing and keep your distanceMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Moses said he saw that the police kept their distance from reserve communities because of a lack of understanding of the people and their culture.
- Should I keep my distance to maintain my authority or spend time with everyone to make sure things get done?
- This is a break with the tradition of analysts keeping their distance from the players in the field so as to maintain their objectivity.
within —— distance
- Near enough to reach by the means specified: her flat is within walking distanceMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Don't compare the skill, courage, or attitudes of your children with other members of the team, at least within their hearing distance.
- As I live within a short walking distance of a river, I was happy to discover that the chance of my home flooding each year is just 1 in 1,000 or less.
- Number 48 will appeal to those buyers who want a period property in very good condition within walking distance of their place of work.
within striking distance
- Near enough to hit or achieve something: we are within striking distance of our goalMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The Dart is within striking distance and work is well underway on the M50 link near Loughlinstown.
- This put the Kiwis within striking distance of Canada however not close enough to qualify.
- Within the past few minutes, Dr. Jim Thompson says they're now within striking distance of living independent lives.
Middle English (in the sense 'discord, debate'): from Old French or from Latin distantia, from distant- 'standing apart', from the verb distare (see distant).
The distant origin of distance lies in Latin distare ‘to stand apart’. The apartness may be physical, as in the distance between two places, or intellectual. The earliest senses of distance in English are ‘discord, debate’, and ‘a disagreement, a quarrel’. The expression to go the distance, ‘to last for a long time’, has its roots in the world of boxing, although it is also used in other sports. A boxer who ‘goes the distance’ manages to complete a fight without being knocked out. In baseball, the phrase is used to mean ‘to pitch for the entire length of an inning’, and in horse racing a horse that can ‘go the distance’ can run the full length of a race without tiring.
Palabras que riman con distanceassistance, coexistence, consistence, existence, insistence, outdistance, persistence, resistance, subsistence
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.