Definición de dog whistle en inglés:
1A high-pitched whistle used to train dogs, typically having a sound inaudible to humans.
- X rays are light emitted at much higher frequencies than humans can see, in the same way as a dog whistle blows at a frequency that is beyond the sensitivity of the human ear.
- Blow into it and the sound produced is not unlike that of a dog whistle.
- He kept blowing a dog whistle in a fruitless attempt to coax Molly out.
1.1 [usually as modifier] A subtly aimed political message which is intended for, and can only be understood by, a particular demographic group: dog-whistle issues such as immigration and crime
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- She nailed the point of why the Government was holding such an Inquiry, describing it as "dog whistle politics to men's groups aggrieved by the Family Court".
- This dog whistle may have been missed by his audience, and was certainly neglected by the press, but it resonated in Conservative headquarters.
- Mr Norris added that modernisers who felt uneasy about the party's focus on "dog whistle" issues such as asylum may struggle to criticise the leadership.