1A pair of similar things, in particular two words of the same derivation but having different meanings, for example fashion and faction, cloak and clock.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Carroll called the given words doublets, the interposed words links, and the complete series a chain.
- For those not etymologically challenged, the word canker is a doublet.
- Etymologically speaking, a doublet is a pair of words that have the same origin but different spellings and often different meanings.
1.2 Physics & Chemistry A pair of associated lines close together in a spectrum or electrophoretic gel.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- These studies have led to the findings that bundles of several doublet microtubules can propagate bending waves, and a pair of outer doublets can undergo cyclical association/dissociation interaction.
- Whereas the effect of the redshift is to multiply the wavelength of every line in the spectrum by the name number, 1 + z, any variation in only changes the relative separation between the lines in the doublet.
- The mechanism by which the oscillatory movements produced by these two opposing pairs of doublets are coupled with each other remains to be elucidated.
2A man’s short close-fitting padded jacket, commonly worn from the 14th to the 17th century: they were wearing red velvet doublets and hose
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Indicators of this are the short doublet and very prominent codpiece, the round-toed shoes and the knee-breeches.
- It represents a bagpiper wearing a short doublet, full, knee-length breeches with a prominent codpiece, shoes with narrow rounded toes, and a hemispherical, skullcap-like hat with a very narrow brim.
- The minstrels, bedecked in red doublets and white hose, played upbeat tunes to which gardens of brightly clad nobles danced merrily.
Middle English: from Old French, 'something folded', also denoting a fur-lined coat, from double 'double'.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: doub|let
Definición de doublet en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda