- 1A loss of power, prosperity, or status: the crisis led to the downfall of the governmentMás ejemplos en oraciones
undoing, ruin, ruination, loss of power/prosperity/status; defeat, conquest, vanquishing, toppling, deposition, ousting, unseating, overthrow, nemesis, destruction, annihilation, elimination, end, collapse, fall, crash, failure, debasement, degradation, disgrace; Waterloo• rare labefaction
- The edge he plays with can lead to his downfall if he takes undisciplined penalties.
- It was this merger of Malchut and Mochiach that eventually led to the downfall of the empire.
- But there is one other sticky point that could very easily lead to his downfall.
- 1.1The cause of a loss of power, prosperity, or status: his intractability will prove to be his downfallMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In the realm of the tragic hero there is always a fatal flaw in his personality that causes or precipitates his downfall.
- The combined forces of Harold and Tostig drove Gruffydd back into Wales, and in 1063 caused his downfall and death.
- It was widely rumored on Tuesday that his alleged wrongdoing and poor damage control would cause his downfall.
- 2A heavy fall of rain or snow: the wind was whipping up the downfall into deep drifts on the moorMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The last thing we need is a heavy downfall of rain and snow at this point.
- She didn't know why, but seeing him so happy felt so refreshing, like breathing the crisp air after a heavy downfall of rain.
- Sunday will be a mixture of sunny spells and downfalls of rain and Bank Holiday Monday will continue much like Sunday, with a slight breeze.