Definición de duodecimo en inglés:
sustantivo (plural duodecimos)
1A size of book in which each leaf is one twelfth of the size of the printing sheet.
- Smaller formats could make printing less expensive, and text from a quarto edition could be squeezed into a duodecimo with considerable savings in paper - still a precious commodity in the age before wood pulp.
- His estimation of the capacities of youth was generous in comparison; this more aggressive abridger turned the nineteen volumes of the three novels into a 232-page duodecimo.
- It is a bunched, busy duodecimo, and in it, the reader can find stock poetic eloquence, like his, tailored to suit his circumstances.
1.1A duodecimo book.
- Such was this shameful war of Bibles - folios, quartos, and duodecimos, even in the days of Charles the First.
- Beware, too, of the vulgar error of fancying that little duodecimos with the mark of the fox and the bee's nest, and the motto ‘Quaerendo,’ come from the press of the Elzevirs.
- The Elzevirian duodecimos achieved great contemporary popularity, and many authors thought it an honor to have their writings included in the series.
mid 17th century: from Latin (in) duodecimo 'in a twelfth', from duodecimus 'twelfth'.
Definición de duodecimo en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan