A natural or synthetic substance used to add a colour to or change the colour of something: blonde hair dye [count noun]: a black dye
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- For the most part, though, manufacturers adopted recipes using synthetic dyes, or mixtures of synthetic and natural dyes, to provide whatever colors were in demand.
- It was made with natural and synthetic dyes on wool.
- One of the major practical applications of chromophore chemistry is in the manufacture of synthetic dyes, or dyestuffs, for textiles.
verbo (dyes, dyeing, dyed)[with object] Volver al principio
1Add a colour to or change the colour of (something) by soaking it in a solution impregnated with a dye: [with complement]: I dyed my hair blonde (as adjective dyed) dyed black hair
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- ‘When your mom takes you to the store to buy your hair dye and then dyes it for you, you're not getting the true meaning of punk,’ he states.
- She had used the black hair dye to dye the bottom five inches of her flaming red hair black.
- She wore black and she had dyed her hair black, but the blonde roots were beginning to grow out.
Old English dēag (noun), dēagian (verb). The noun is not recorded from Old English to the late 16th century, when it was re-formed from the verb.
dyed in the wool
- Unchanging in a particular belief or opinion; inveterate: she’s a true blue dyed-in-the-wool Conservative[with allusion to the fact that yarn was dyed in the raw state, producing a more even and permanent colour]Más ejemplos en oraciones
inveterate, confirmed, entrenched, established, long-established, long-standing, deep-rooted, diehard, complete, absolute, utter, thorough, thoroughgoing, out-and-out, true blue, through and through; firm, unshakeable, staunch, steadfast, committed, devoted, dedicated, loyal, faithful, unswerving, unwavering, unfaltering; unashamed, unapologetic, unrepentant, incurable, incorrigible; North Americanfull-borearchaic arrantrare right-down
- Well, I suppose if you were a Dodger fan you might have a different view of things, but, as I am a dyed in the wool Angel fan, I was ecstatic with our 9-shelling of the Dodger bullpen.
- A haunter of bookshops since his childhood, spent north and west of Kensington Gardens, he was a dyed in the wool bookman, and was perhaps the last Man of Letters to have read ‘everything’.
- My grandfather, who is a dear man, but a dyed in the wool Socialist, told me that the general was a traitor to his race for taking a job with third administration.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It is a photosensitive resin composition and color filter comprising a polymer dyeable with an anionic dye, an azide compound and a compound with at least two acrylol groups
- Silk is dyeable, but if it is lined, has trim, or other components - they may not dye.
- Katahdin Tek is made from a highly dyeable polyester filament, allowing even tonal qualities and luxurious drape.