Definición de ecdysis en inglés:
sustantivo[mass noun] Zoology
The process of shedding the old skin (in reptiles) or casting off the outer cuticle (in insects and other arthropods).
- At ecdysis, the animal sheds the old exoskeleton while absorbing large quantities of water to stretch the new exoskeleton.
- In both groups, tissue loss must occur before a critical period to permit regeneration before the next ecdysis and proecdysial processes are suspended during regeneration in order to maintain proper timing of events.
- During terminal pleateau there are a series of large pulses of circulating ecdysteroids which appear to be necessary for successful ecdysis of the entire exoskeleton.
mid 19th century: from Greek ekdusis, from ekduein 'put off', from ek- 'out, off' + duein 'put'.
- Example sentences
- Passonneau and Williams have described in the developing cecropia silkworm an 'ecdysial membrane' situated between pupal and adult cuticles.
- The ecdysial suture is the region of the arthropod exoskeleton that splits to allow the animal to emerge during ecdysis.
Definición de ecdysis en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan