(US edgewise /ˈɛdʒwʌɪz/)
With the edge uppermost or towards the viewer: an electric fan is quieter heard edgeways on than from in front or behind
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In cloisonné enamelling cells, or cloisons, are built up on a thin sheet of metal by attaching metal wire or fine strips of metal fixed edgewise.
- It involves digging and pickax work, as well as delicate handiwork, like carefully splitting open shales edgewise to reveal the fossils that have been trapped between the pages of rocks pasted together.
- To minimise distortion, long cylindrical objects should be quenched vertically, flat sections edgeways and thick sections should enter the bath first.
get a word in edgeways
- [usually with negative] Contribute to a conversation with difficulty because the other speaker talks incessantly: give him a bit of limelight and away he goes—no one else can get a word in edgewaysMás ejemplos en oraciones
- This came as no surprise to me, for it's difficult to get a word in edgeways with the mother.
- I find him in the entrance hall, trying to get a word in edgeways during a lengthy mobile-phone conversation.
- Right now, though, they're not getting a word in edgeways.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: edge|ways
Definición de edgeways en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda