- 1A formal and organized choice by vote of a person for a political office or other position: the 2008 local elections [mass noun]: he agreed to stand for electionMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The far left has failed to fully build on its vote in the presidential elections.
- All of which brings us back again to the big issue of why so few people vote in local elections.
- What you vote for in elections is not more freedom and more democracy but more politicians.
- 1.1 [mass noun] The action of electing or the fact of being elected: his election to the House of RepresentativesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- That same year he gained election to a fellowship at St John's College, Cambridge.
- Among the honours which Mansion received was election to the Royal Academy of Belgium.
- Among his many foreign honours was election to the Académie des Sciences of Paris.
Middle English: via Old French from Latin electio(n-), from eligere 'pick out' (see elect).