Definición de electronegative en inglés:
1 Physics Electrically negative.
- Specifically, large electropositive or electronegative regions can reasonably attract oppositely charged entities through long-range electrostatic interactions.
- The centers of corresponding ellipsoids are close, in agreement with well-known restrictions on the hydrogen bonding of electronegative atoms.
- Consequently, the more electronegative atom has a partial negative charge.
2 Chemistry (Of an element) tending to acquire electrons and form negative ions in chemical reactions.
- In the case of binary covalent compounds, the positive oxidation number is assigned to the more electropositive element, and the negative oxidation number to the more electronegative element.
- Since there are two atoms bound to the sulfur atom (the less electronegative element), there must be one double bond.
- Oxygen, the next most electronegative element, is also a powerful oxidant, as are chlorine and bromine.
- Example sentences
- Fluorine steals electrons from hydrogen atoms because fluorine has a higher electronegativity rating.
- The effect of electronegativity dominated the analysis, suggesting that it is the major contributor.
- Atoms with widely different electronegativities will form ionic bonds, since the atom with the highest eletronegativity is able to pull an electron away from the atom with the lower electronegativity.
Definición de electronegative en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary