Definición de elephant en inglés:
sustantivo (plural igual or elephants)
- The sale of new ivory was banned in 1989 to curb the slaughter of elephants in Africa.
- They will visit Nairobi Nursery, where the smallest orphaned elephants and rhinos are kept.
- On watching the footage, you start to believe that elephants may indeed be as intelligent as the great apes.
the elephant in the room
- A major problem or controversial issue which is obviously present but is avoided as a subject for discussion: they’ve steadfastly ignored the elephant in the room: the ever-growing debt burden on graduatesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I also think the Small decisions are interesting because they completely avoid the elephant in the room: the Second Amendment.
- But the Iraq issue was the elephant in the room, the issue that the two leaders could not ignore.
- It's the elephant in the room that everybody avoids talking about, isn't it?
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- A 19-year-old man who had been weighed down by an enormous elephantoid tumor had become so overcome with grief that he tried on more than one occasion to commit suicide by swallowing arsenic.
- Five patients with varying severities of hyperkeratotic verrucous thickening at the skin illustrate that the condition may occasionally become elephantoid.
- The elephantoid fossil record, combined with data on palaeoclimate and sea level, indicates when the large mammals may have crossed one of several land bridges out of Africa, into Asia, and back again, reports Kalb.
Perhaps surprisingly, elephant did not come to us from an African or Indian language, but via Latin from Greek. The Greek word elephas meant both ‘ivory’ and ‘elephant’. It is found in the work of the poet Homer, who probably lived in the 8th century bc, and may have been taken up by the Greeks from an ancient language of the Middle East. Elephant appeared in English in the 14th century, but before that people called them oliphants or elps. The related word olfend was used to mean ‘a camel’—in those days northern Europeans had only vague notions of exotic animals. See also camel, chameleon, giraffe, room, white
Palabras que riman con elephantdecadent • verdant • infant
Definición de elephant en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.