1(Of speech or writing) using or involving ellipsis, especially so as to be difficult to understand: elliptical colloquial exchanges she had completely misunderstood his elliptical declaration
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- At times, elliptical speech or writing is so concise that listeners and readers must supply missing elements through guesswork or special knowledge, and if they cannot, they fail to understand.
- In each case, elliptical writing conveys too little.
- I know about than the preposition vs. than the introducer of elliptical clauses, but this example took me (intuitively, not analytically) aback.
2 another term for elliptic.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Its elliptical paraboloid shape was selected because it could be easily described mathematically, simplifying both design and construction.
- He guessed that the original cutting stylus was defective and so he tried a custom-made reproducing stylus, instead of the usual conical or elliptical styli.
- The north face of the building is concave, completing the elliptical pattern that begins in the courtyard.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- As he moved from protest singer to surrealistic prophet, from born-again Christian to born-again Jew, Dylan's life and music registered, however unwillingly or elliptically, his times.
- I've been interviewing various players in this little drama for some time now - something I've alluded to elliptically in a few posts over the last couple months.
- By combining a weak horizontal magnetic field with a strong vertical magnetic field, we can extract light that is elliptically polarized.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda