adjetivo (emptier, emptiest)
- 1Containing nothing; not filled or occupied: she put down her empty cup the room was empty of furnitureMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Before he could answer, the waitress came over and filled their empty cups with coffee.
- And, of course, conferences are generally held at an offpeak time of the year when there are plenty of empty beds to fill.
- When they looked inside, they found the hall mostly empty.
- 1.1 Mathematics (Of a set) containing no members or elements.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- So, with changes in k, the core for this example progresses from an interval, to a point, to the empty set.
- The set-theoretic hierarchy is thoroughly abstract, consisting of the empty set, the powerset of the empty set, and so on.
- Parmenides claimed that we cannot conceptualize nothing, the empty set.
- 2(Of words or a gesture) lacking meaning or sincerity: their promises were empty wordsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Offensive words, empty gestures, and the inappropriate use of symbols can get in the way of worship.
- The threats appeared to be empty gestures to the friends who overheard him.
- But forgiving poor countries' debts without agreeing on a better framework for future aid flows is an empty gesture.
- 3Having no value or purpose: her life felt empty and meaninglessMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I think that every one of us should find his own truth, some idea for which one can live or die - otherwise our lives would be empty and meaningless.
- This young man believes life would be empty and dull without music.
- The dream was fading away, and all I had was this hollow, empty pain inside.
verbo (empties, emptying, emptied)[with object] Volver al principio
- 1Remove all the contents of (a container): we empty the till at closing time pockets were emptied of loose changeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- While she was doing this, she lost property, including a gold watch, and her purse was emptied of cash.
- Tills were emptied of cash and the thieves took jewellery and money from customers and staff, police report.
- He emptied the basket, removed two tins of plum tomatoes, put them on the floor and repacked.
- 1.1Remove (the contents) from a container: he emptied out the contents of his briefcaseMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The pouch's remaining contents was emptied out into her waiting palm and then applied to her mass of hair.
- He emptied the contents into the toilet and used the containers as raw material for his sculpture.
- The sky is filled with the remnants of the enormous cumulonimbus rain clouds that have been building up, emptying their contents and building up again all day.
- 1.2 [no object] (Of a place) be vacated by people in it: the pub suddenly seemed to emptyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Many fans eventually wandered back out to their seats, but early in the fourth quarter, the place emptied for good.
- The streets of the centre of the city emptied as frightened residents fled home to take shelter.
- Swindon's streets had emptied as the town united for the big day.
- 1.3 [no object] (empty into) (Of a river) flow into (the sea or a lake): the river’s southern stream emptied into the estuaryMás ejemplos en oraciones
- That would improve the water volume of 145 rivers, which empty into the lake.
- Double Bridges Creek, located in the south-central section of the county, flows southwest and empties into the Pea River.
- And then, around one of its many bends, the river rapidly emptied into a lake many leagues across and ringed by small hills.
sustantivo (plural empties)• informal Volver al principio
- A bottle or glass left empty of its contents: the barman collected the emptiesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The grass where I stood to take these pictures was littered with empties, mostly bourbon-and-cola bottles.
- He pointed to a yellow plastic crate with the empties neatly stacked among full bottles.
- Service was quick and friendly and the collection of empties swift.
be running on empty
- Have exhausted all of one’s resources: he was running on empty and even the alcohol had worn offMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Plus, I was exhausted, running on empty by then.
- He goes on to suggest that America is now an empire running on empty, backing away from the crucial imperial commitments of time, money and manpower - and resting on perilous financial foundations.
- I've been running on empty for over two weeks now.
empty vessels make most noise (or sound)
on an empty stomach
- see stomach.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- People scarred by violence are often shells of their former selves, hollowed-out structures that move emptily through the world.
- Amid the crumbling plaster and tattered curtains, they spin out a private little reality that emptily echoes a life without meaning.
- ‘No, there is nothing there,’ said Luke emptily.
Old English ǣmtig, ǣmetig 'at leisure, empty', from ǣmetta 'leisure', perhaps from ā 'no, not' + mōt 'meeting' (see moot).