- Children have been able to get a real feel for the enormous size of some of the creatures that live in the sea.
- It is costing an enormous amount of money to clean it up, which could be used on other things.
- We did manage to get an enormous amount of work done.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The shark battled for 40 minutes before the angler saw its enormousness.
- I'm Margaret… thinking, like you, about the enormousness of the task…
- She hadn't realized the enormousness of her responsibility.
Enormous is from Latin enormis, from e- ‘out of’ and norma ‘pattern, standard’ (the root of norm (early 19th century), and normal (mid 17th century)). In early use it meant ‘abnormal, unusual, extraordinary’ and also ‘abnormally bad, monstrous, shocking’ as well as ‘huge’. This bad sense is still found in enormity (Late Middle English), which strictly means ‘a grave crime or sin’ or ‘the extreme seriousness of something bad’, although today people increasingly use it to mean simply ‘great size or scale’.
Palabras que riman con enormousginormous
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.