Definición de epiphysis en inglés:
sustantivo (plural epiphyses /-siːz/)
1The end part of a long bone, initially growing separately from the shaft. Compare with diaphysis.
- The skeleton is highly incomplete, consisting of hand and foot bones, epiphyses, ribs, vertebrae, the right ilium, and teeth.
- The use of androgens by adolescents who have not completed their full growth will eliminate further growth by closing the bone epiphyses.
- This growth occurs at the epiphyses, where the main shaft of a bone joins the parts which are shaped to fit a joint at each end.
- Example sentences
- The infection spreads and destroys the epiphyseal cortex, the intervertebral disc and the adjacent vertebrae.
- A shortening of the limbs is characteristic of other conditions such as diastrophic dysplasia, multiple epiphyseal dysplasia and pseudoachondroplasia.
- Another type of fracture common in children is a growth plate fracture, called an epiphyseal plate fracture.
Definición de epiphysis en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan