Definición de err en inglés:
verbo[no object] formal
- He has done a good job as far as trying to protect us, but we think he erred in these areas, and we feel we can do better, because our strengths are what they are.
- The army denied the curfew was lifted, but said an initial inquiry ‘indicates that the force erred in its action’.
- I may have erred in posting anything here about this sad dispute.
- Traffic officers as a matter of routine, get ‘oiled’ by erring motorists for turning a blind eye to defective, unroadworthy or overloaded vehicles, sometimes with fatal consequences.
- A hotline number has been made available to report corruption and erring officials will be suspended on the spot.
- Some other police forces have run schemes where residents have been given the opportunity to speak to erring drivers and point out how their speed or manner of driving could put members of the community at risk.
err on the right side
- Act so that the least harmful of possible mistakes or errors is the most likely to occur: last year’s boom was the result of a miscalculation, which erred on the right sideMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He said a few people in the town felt the Government probably erred on the right side, but the majority were disappointed.
- The star rarely eats in, but when she does, she errs on the right side of healthy
- The film's magical, mythic undertones are combined with a gritty, sparse realism that means things always err on the right side of sentiment.
err on the side of
- Display more rather than less of (a specified quality) in one’s actions: it is better to err on the side of cautionMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Women should err on the side of too little rather than too much.
- You want to err on the side of too little water rather than too much.
- Within reason, it may be best to err on the side of too many, rather than too few, participants.
to err is human, to forgive divine
- proverb It is human nature to make mistakes oneself while finding it hard to forgive others.Oraciones de ejemplo
- Maybe we need to look to religion for guidance in such matters, after all, to err is human, to forgive divine.
- ‘Holcombe came to me and said, ‘Hey, Ed, I'm not condoning what you fellows did, but I believe that to err is human, to forgive divine.’
- "To err is human, to forgive divine, as the old saying goes," Bucknor said.
Like error (Middle English) and erratic (Late Middle English), err comes to us from Latin errare, which meant ‘to stray, wander’ but could also mean ‘to make a mistake’. The idea of straying or going off the correct course is still found in erratic, and also in the old term knight errant (Middle English), so called because they wandered far and wide in search of adventure. Arrant is a Middle English variant of errant, and aberrant (mid 16th century) is literally a ‘wandering away’ from the right path. The proverb to err is human, to forgive, divine is so old that it is found in Latin (humanum est errare, ‘it is human to err’), and also in the 14th-century work of Geoffrey Chaucer: ‘The proverb says that to sin is human, but to carry on sinning is the devil's work.’ The precise wording that we are familiar with comes from An Essay on Criticism ( 1711) by the poet Alexander Pope.
Palabras que riman con errà deux, agent provocateur, astir, auteur, aver, bestir, blur, bon viveur, burr, Chandigarh, coiffeur, concur, confer, connoisseur, cordon-bleu, cri de cœur, cur, danseur, Darfur, defer, demur, de rigueur, deter, entrepreneur, er, farceur, faute de mieux, fir, flâneur, Fleur, force majeure, fur, hauteur, her, infer, inter, jongleur, Kerr, littérateur, longueur, masseur, Monseigneur, monsieur, Montesquieu, Montreux, murre, myrrh, occur, pas de deux, Pasteur, per, pisteur, poseur, pot-au-feu, prefer, prie-dieu, pudeur, purr, raconteur, rapporteur, refer, répétiteur, restaurateur, saboteur, sabreur, seigneur, Sher, shirr, sir, skirr, slur, souteneur, spur, stir, tant mieux, transfer, Ur, vieux jeu, voyageur, voyeur, were, whirr
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.