Definición de escapement en inglés:
1A mechanism in a clock or watch that alternately checks and releases the train by a fixed amount and transmits a periodic impulse from the spring or weight to the balance wheel or pendulum: a lever escapement
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In 1730 Harrison visited London, taking with him his gridiron pendulum and the grasshopper escapement which he had developed, and there he learnt exactly what was required to win the longitude prize.
- In general, any lantern clock with a balance wheel has had its escapement restored.
- Because they have no gears or escapements to disturb their regular frequency, quartz clocks are extremely accurate and have become the dominant timekeeping technology.
2A mechanism in a typewriter that shifts the carriage a small fixed amount to the left after a key is pressed and released.
- The five key subassemblies of the standard typewriter (the carriage, paper handling system, escapement, typebasket, and keyboard) are put on trucks and moved to the main assembly line where they are added to the typewriter frame.
- In 1945 the Rochester Museum of Arts and Sciences awarded him a fellowship for the invention of an escapement for spacing typewriter characters variably according to their widths.
- One of the motors drives the escapement while another is used to select the character for printing.
late 18th century: from French échappement, from échapper 'to escape'.
Definición de escapement en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan