Definición de escutcheon en inglés:
1A shield or emblem bearing a coat of arms.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- As weaponry began to render body armor obsolete, coats of arms were scaled down and used on tunics and caps, still in the form of the escutcheon or shield.
- The trappings of male finery included plumed helmets, heavy epaulettes, long swords, tassels, braid, knee-high boots, gleaming escutcheons, white gloves, white trousers.
- Written in Gothic letters of gold leaf, the composer's name on the portrait above his left shoulder recalls the style of the escutcheons of the knights of the Golden Fleece.
2 (also escutcheon plate) A flat piece of metal for protection and often ornamentation, around a keyhole, door handle, or light switch.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Made of highly figured mahogany it retains its original large brass handles and keyhole escutcheons.
- According to these orders, Robinson supplied fifty mortise locks, thirty-six pairs of octagonal glass knobs, twelve plain knob sets, and forty-eight escutcheons.
- Over the years chairs have lost casters or the casters have lost their leather wraps; chests are without pulls, escutcheons, and decorative mounts; and the hinges of secretary doors have vanished.
- 1a blot on one's escutcheon
- A stain on one’s reputation or character.Oraciones de ejemplo
- Perhaps the readers of this journal have similar blots on their escutcheons.
- Admittedly, his family life receives short shrift - the only blot on his escutcheon was a strained relationship with his spendthrift son - but this is inevitable given Paxton's workaholism.
- 2escutcheon of pretence
- A small shield within a coat of arms, bearing another coat or device to which the bearer has a claim, especially one to which a man’s wife is heiress.Oraciones de ejemplo
- An escutcheon of pretence was used only when the wife had no brothers, and could transmit the right to use her familial coat of arms to a man who would act as her family's representative - in this case, her husband.
Palabras que riman con escutcheonscutcheon
Definición de escutcheon en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda