- Apart from the novels, Sundara Ramaswamy has written several short stories and essays on literary criticism.
- That might be the inevitable price of writing short essays.
- He began writing plays, essays, short stories and then film scripts declaring that he planned to devote his life to art as a force for social change.
- He had a beautiful collection of essays and proofs, obtained largely from the designers and engravers with whom he was intimately acquainted.
- The Prince Consort essay shown here can be regarded as the forerunner of later Victorian stamps.
- The newsreader forced a glassy smile and essayed a limp defence.
- The Socialist Party alone seems to be essaying a relatively sophisticated campaign, and taking the trouble to tell voters who its candidates are.
- For any sportsperson, the point of contact in essaying a stroke is the moment of joy.
late 15th century (as a verb in the sense 'test the quality of'): alteration of assay, by association with Old French essayer, based on late Latin exagium 'weighing', from the base of exigere 'ascertain, weigh'; the noun (late 16th century) is from Old French essai 'trial'.