- 1A thing characteristic of its kind or illustrating a general rule: advertising provides a good example of an industry where dreams have fadedMás ejemplos en oraciones
- If any of you can provide me with examples of this character's cretinhood, I will happily publish them.
- The strap-ends are decorated with animals and are the largest and among the finest examples from the period.
- To establish this, Porter probes both the general context and specific examples.
- 1.1A written problem or exercise designed to illustrate a rule: a workbook and a data set will enable the researcher to follow worked examplesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Does anyone of you have some experience in it, and could give some examples of exercises, or rituals?
- Try it out on the examples in the exercises, for which a pencil mark will substitute for the peanuts.
- Any book on calculus will contain many similar examples and exercises for you to practice.
- 2A person or thing regarded in terms of their fitness to be imitated: it is important that parents should set an example he followed his brother’s example and deserted his familyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He then took a serious tone and spoke of the need for leading officials to set an example.
- It feels it should set an example by reducing the numbers of cars in the city.
- One of the key recommendations was the use of role models to set an example to younger generations.
verbo(be exampled) Volver al principio
- Be illustrated or exemplified: the extent of Allied naval support is exampled by the navigational specialists providedMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The crisis in public health delivery with bed shortages, ‘code reds’ where ambulances have been turned away from the emergency ward at Liverpool, and the shortcomings in patient care exampled at Campbelltown Hospital.
- Her previous film and video work shows a distinct concern for documentary visual practices and a fascination with ethnographic films, exampled in her 1999 film Facing Forward.
- Lest this turn into another lament about the state of our cinemas, let me state that there's nothing terribly wrong with the new breed of venues, perhaps best exampled by the Paramount.
- Used to introduce something chosen as a typical case: many, like Hilda, for example, come from very poor backgroundsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- An astonishing number of people already listen to radio via the net, for example.
- There are so many variables, for example interest rates have an effect on demand.
- This time last season, for example, Burnley hit a similar run of form having got off to a bad start.
make an example of
- Punish as a warning or deterrent to others: he had been imprisoned so that the air force could make an example of himMás ejemplos en oraciones
- One of these days my son is going to turn around and clock S. Of course, DJ will be the one to get suspended, be punished, made an example of.
- To this end, one worker has been picked out, made an example of and punished, together with a member of the factory council who was also dismissed without notice.
- Whilst I applaud the actions of the Devon Pensioners Action Forum who say they will go to jail rather than pay the massive council tax rises I can only see the outcome ending in tears when they are made an example of by the powers that be.
late Middle English: from Old French, from Latin exemplum, from eximere 'take out', from ex- 'out' + emere 'take'. Compare with sample.