Definición de exchequer en inglés:
- The most important post in judging the character of the government is its finance minister and chancellor of the exchequer.
- At last the public exchequer has recognised the need for support and encouragement of the civilising Arts of life as a part of their duty.
- A master stroke-it will solve the pension problems, boost the economy and the exchequer in one fell blow.
- Foot-and-mouth cost the Exchequer £229,299 up to April 20.
- The Exchequer will not be the only beneficiaries.
- A bottle of Jacob's Creek wine costs €8.95 in Bray, Co Wicklow, and €7.90 in Belfast, a difference of €1.05, with €3.60 going to the Irish Exchequer and €2.94 going to the British Exchequer.
- Chancellor of the Exchequer in 1874-80, Northcote succeeded Disraeli as leader in the Commons in 1876, though his unease with the premier's policy over the Eastern Question became evident.
Middle English: from Old French eschequier, from medieval Latin scaccarium 'chessboard', from scaccus (see check1). The original sense was 'chessboard'. Current senses derive from the Norman department of state dealing with the royal revenues, named Exchequer from the chequered tablecloth on which accounts were kept by means of counters. The spelling was influenced by Latin ex- 'out' (see ex1). Compare with chequer.
In around 1300 an exchequer was ‘a chessboard’. The word came into English from Old French eschequier, which was based on medieval Latin scaccus ‘check’—the origin of our word check. It took on its current, very different sense from the department of state that dealt with the revenues of the Norman kings of England. In those days they kept the accounts by placing counters on a chequered tablecloth, which was called the Exchequer.
Palabras que riman con exchequerBecker, checker, Cheka, chequer, Dekker, Flecker, mecca, Neckar, Necker, Quebecker, Rebecca, Rijeka, trekker, weka, wrecker
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.