- Despite the fame and the globetrotting, the couple's domestic existence is reassuringly familiar.
- She is enjoying the fame, and the increase in attention hasn't impinged too badly on her time.
- But eventually the fame had become too much, and I believe he had turned to drugs to escape.
of —— fame
- Having a particular famous association; famous for having or being ——: the village is the birthplace of Mrs Beeton, of cookery fameMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Mojave Aerospace Ventures is funded by one of the most famous names in the computer world, Paul Allen of Microsoft fame.
- The show was screened around the world and starred David Schwimmer of Friends fame and British actor Damian Lewis.
- After their huge success on the TV show Reborn in the USA, Tony Hadley of Spandau Ballet fame and Peter Cox, with his band Go West, are joining together to embark on a national tour.
Middle English (also in the sense 'reputation', which survives in house of ill fame): via Old French from Latin fama.
In early use fame could mean not only ‘celebrity’ but ‘reputation’, a sense that survives in the old term for a brothel, a house of ill fame. The word comes from Latin fama ‘report, fame’. The desire to win fame has often been seen as a positive force to stir somebody up to action: in the 17th century John Milton wrote ‘Fame is the spur that the clear spirit doth raise…To scorn delights, and live laborious days.’ The writer Howard Spring borrowed Fame is the Spur as the title of a novel that was made into a film in 1947. Famous (Late Middle English) is from the same root. To be famous for fifteen minutes comes from the prediction by the American artist Andy Warhol in 1968 that ‘In the future everybody will be world-famous for fifteen minutes.’ A few years later famous for being famous is recorded to describe someone whose only real distinction is their celebrity status.
Palabras que riman con fameacclaim, aflame, aim, became, blame, came, claim, dame, exclaim, flame, frame, game, lame, maim, misname, name, proclaim, same, shame, tame
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: fame
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.