Definición de farthing en inglés:
1A former monetary unit and coin of the UK, withdrawn in 1961, equal to a quarter of an old penny.
- During that period, he said, there was a national shortage of small-denomination half penny and farthing coins - so many local towns and even tradesmen took to minting their own tokens.
- There were farthings, pennies, oxfords, crowns, florins, shillings, guineas, and pounds, among other divisions.
- Well what do I get for my six pence and three farthings?
1.1 [usually with negative] The least possible amount: she didn’t care a farthing for the woman
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Anybody who slogs through the first five pages of it knows perfectly well the book cares not a farthing for ideas; it's entertainment.
- They don't care a farthing about other peoples' feelings.
- But they did not care a farthing about defeat, to which they became accustomed.
Old English fēorthing, from fēortha 'fourth', perhaps on the pattern of Old Norse fjórthungr 'quarter'.
Definición de farthing en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan