- 1A barrier, railing, or other upright structure, typically of wood or wire, enclosing an area of ground to prevent or control access or escape.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- South Korean news agency Yonhap said the group cut through a wire fence to gain access to the school grounds in a northern suburb of Beijing early Friday.
- They broke the wire fence to the play area along with the overflow pipe to the drinking fountain.
- Very good control using a wire fence is essential for any kind of utilisation.
- 1.1A large upright obstacle in steeplechasing, showjumping, or cross-country.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Lake was injured when his mount jumped poorly at the next-to-last fence during a novice hurdle race and unseated him.
- A chase involves larger, rigid fences while a hurdle race is run over shorter, more flexible obstacles.
- On the second circuit, these two fences are bypassed and the last obstacle has no fence on it at all.
- 2A guard or guide on a plane, saw, or other tool.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- This leaves a short side surface at right angles to the rear of the strip, adequate for guiding the fence of the cornice plane.
- The fence of this plane is guided by the drawer side, and the depth stop sets the distance to be cut into the side of the drawer.
- The fence of a plow plane must be held firmly at the chosen distance from its stock if the tool is to function properly.
- 3 • informal A person who deals in stolen goods.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- There he meets up with the wily Artful Dodger who takes him to thief and fence Fagin, who is in charge of a gang of young pickpockets.
- For Polanski portrays the fence Fagin and his gang of children who steal silk handkerchiefs, pocket watches and wallets in a far more sympathetic light than the authorities.
verbo[with object] Volver al principio
- 1Surround or protect with a fence: our garden was not fully fencedMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The entire area of the marsh has to be fenced to protect the remaining part from further encroachment, say nature lovers, who enjoy its vast expanse and birdlife.
- The gardens which surround the property are fenced with mature spruce trees separating the garden from the road.
- Sections of upper beach were fenced to protect nests, and regulations limiting some recreational activities were posted and enforced.
- 1.1 (fence something in/off) Enclose or separate an area with a fence: a small plantation of young trees had been fenced offMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Two specific areas of trees will be fenced off on the bank of the beck so the saplings will be safe from being eaten by deer or other animals.
- It is not just the learning spaces that are separate; the children are fenced off from each other in the playing areas.
- I have turned up before 5pm and been told the area was fenced off because of lack of staff.
- 1.2 (fence someone/thing out) Use a barrier to exclude someone or something: walkers may find themselves fenced out of the moorMás ejemplos en oraciones
- On summer rangeland, you need to start accumulating growth no later than early July by fencing cows out of the planned winter pasture.
- He decided to plant willows and fence the cows out.
- Next, the area is sown with regnans and other native hardwood seeds, and any animals - wallabies, wombats, and possums - that might eat seedlings are fenced out, trapped, or shot.
- 2 • informal Buy or sell (stolen goods): after stealing your ring, he didn’t even know how to fence itMás ejemplos en oraciones
receive stolen goods, deal in stolen goods
- However, unknown to her friends and neighbours, she was running a seaside syndicate of burglars who stole to order and used her shop to fence the goods.
- You then made a business of fencing the goods you asked him to steal at your store for profit.
- Policemen need to be out there checking on pawnbrokers and second-hand dealers, because they know who is fencing the goods.
- 3 [no object] Engage in the sport of fencing.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Next, Anders took a wooden sword and fenced with one of the dummies.
- When one fences a lot and sweats abundantly, the mask can deteriorate quickly.
- He jabbed the air a couple of times, as if he were fencing, before swinging his sword round his head like a slingshot.
- 3.1Conduct a discussion or argument in an evasive way: twelve months of fencing with McLaren had taken a toll his nervesMás ejemplos en oracionesSinónimosbe evasive, be vague, be ambiguous, be non-committal, equivocate, prevaricate, stall, vacillate, quibble, hedge, beat about the bush, dodge the issue, sidestep the issue, parry questions, fudge the issue, mince one's words
mend (one's) fences
- see mend.
side of the fence
- Used to refer to either of the opposing positions or interests involved in a particular situation: whatever side of the fence you are on, the debate on conventional versus organic farming is not going to disappearMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Now, we're on the opposite side of the fence - we're selling the little house we've grown to love.
- You were a media planner, and handled the media campaigns of other models, so what did you learn from the other side of the fence?
- In 1994 they had been on the other side of the fence, yet, today they all sit next to each other peacefully in church.
sit on the fence
- Avoid making a decision or choice.Más ejemplos en oraciones
undecided, uncommitted, uncertain, unsure, vacillating, wavering, dithering, hesitant, tentative, doubtful, irresolute, ambivalent, torn, in two minds, in a dilemma, on the horns of a dilemma, in a quandary; abstaining; neutral, impartial, non-aligned, non-partisan, unbiased, open-minded; British humming and hawing• informal iffy, blowing hot and cold
- But he's going to make change and he's going to bring a lot of confidence to a lot of people who are sitting on the fence with the same decision.
- You should make a decision; you cannot sit on the fence.
- If that brings to mind a lot of dithering and sitting on the fence, you couldn't be more wrong.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Apart from the gate leading to the four-car garage, the house has no other fence except for the around two-meter-high outer wall, topped by a fenceless garden that is accessible through a narrow flight of entrance stairs.
- The close proximity of the buildings, with fenceless front lawns divided only by driveways, give it a suburban feel - particularly with gleaming cars parked in the en-suite garages.
- His route comes within 50 feet of where I'm standing, just beyond the fenceless boundary at South Fork.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- "Our female fencers did so well and clinched all gold medals in the women's events," he said.
- The Scottish team of 15 to 20 fencers will have to pay around £2000 each to represent their country.
- Because of its lighter weight, the small sword made it possible for fencers to do more complex defensive movements.