- 1Constituting number five in a sequence; 5th: the fifth century bc her mother had just given birth to another child, her fifth the world’s fifth-largest oil exporter the fifth of NovemberMás ejemplos en oraciones
- They simply ran out of steam in the second half to slump to their fifth defeat out of five, a record that consigns them to the wooden spoon, their first wooden spoon in the competition since 2002.
- The fifth day of a five day forecast is accurate 20% of the time and these guys are gonna tell me what the weather will be like a hundred years from now?
- It was a subtle touch, one I didn't notice until the opening sequence of the fifth episode - and by then it was too late.
- 1.1The fifth finisher or position in a race or competition: he finished fifthMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He finished the race in fifth place having started from 16th position on the grid.
- Her best this season in four races was a fifth place in Germany which left her in seventh place overall in the rankings.
- At the Leinster Schools held in Dublin, Cheryl Nolan won gold in the junior 1,500m and Sinead Kelly competing in the same race finished a credible fifth place.
- 1.2(In some vehicles) the fifth (and typically highest) in a sequence of gears: in my panic I changed from third to fifthMás ejemplos en oraciones
- These figures are achieved high in the rev range, and with a fairly relaxed fifth gear a quick shift back to fourth is needed for quick overtaking.
- Brett Sales yanked the Cavalier's gear down from fifth into fourth to overtake the van in front of him before he reached the next roundabout.
- Despite being geared to reach its top speed in the fifth of its seven gears, you can never quite escape the V10's voice.
- 1.3chiefly British The fifth form of a school or college.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In the Construction Studies room fifth and sixth class primary school visitors will be able to participate in a wood class helped by the present first years.
- When the fun was over, the children thanked Peter Millen and fifth class teacher Maria Walsh for organising the event for them.
- 1.5 Music An interval spanning five consecutive notes in a diatonic scale, in particular (also perfect fifth) an interval of three tones and a semitone (e.g. C to G): strings tuned a fifth apartMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Open fifths, fourths and tritones, modality and whole-tone scales abound.
- The strings of a four-string cello are usually tuned in fifths.
- And several times in the book a diminished fifth rather than an augmented fourth is called a tritone.
- 1.6 Music The note which is higher by a fifth than the root of a diatonic scale.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The third of a triad may be emphasized above its root or fifth to create a ‘sweeter’ quality in a dolce passage.
- The crisp phrases of the robust seventeen-bar ground, with its harmonically stable fourths and fifths and harmonious consort of bass and triadic chords, clearly assert the traditional lineaments of the form.
- The final movement is based on chords of parallel fifths.
- 1.7US • informal A fifth of a gallon, as a measure of alcoholic drink, or a bottle of this capacity: a fifth of whiskyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The first thing he did was stop in a liquor store to buy a fifth of rye whiskey.
- Witnesses later confirmed Bill stopped at the liquor store at the county line and downed a fifth of whiskey before driving into town.
- I guess shelter should be my first priority, and then about a fifth of some liquor that tastes about as nasty as it smells.
- 2Each of five equal parts into which something is or may be divided.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Because measures of skinfold thickness varied significantly by sex we divided the distribution into fifths for men and women and used these in the analyses.
- Birth weight for gestational age, divided into fifths, showed an association with later marital status for men but not women.
- We divided participants into fifths according to their intake of each type of fat.
take the fifth
- (In the US) exercise the right guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution of refusing to answer questions in order to avoid incriminating oneself.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Her taking the fifth amendment will be the story until the war starts.
- Lawyers note that having your lawyer send the message that you will take the fifth can often get you out of a grand jury appearance altogether or at least be the opening gambit in a negotiation with a prosecutor.
- Four years ago in Nagano, Japan, remember, Team Canada finished fourth and Team USA took the fifth - at least when it came to explaining how the furniture in the athletes' village got trashed.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- And, fifthly, policy-making is not an event but is ‘ethereal, diffuse, haphazard and somewhat volatile.’
- And that, fifthly and finally, is exactly the chief offering that monastics can make to the wider world.
- But then fifthly, this righteousness is freely given but was not bought cheaply.
Más definiciones de fifthDefinición de fifth en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.