1Departing from a literal use of words; metaphorical: a figurative expression
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- For example, is the term metaphor itself literal or figurative?
- Teens comprehend abstract language, such as idioms, figurative language, and metaphors.
- A figurative remark takes on literal construction, a metaphor is concretized in fact.
metaphorical, non-literal, symbolic, allegorical, representative, emblematic;
imaginative, fanciful, poetic, ornate, literary, flowery, florid
rare tropical, parabolic
2(Of an artist or work of art) representing forms that are recognizably derived from life.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The standard was derived from the smaller figurative works on some of the larger paintings and then we kept to that.
- On the contrary at any given point of time an abstract artist could do figurative work.
- Duncan creates elegant female forms and her work is figurative, though not representational.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Förster's figurativeness never corresponded to the dogmas of socialist realism, and was misunderstood and massively criticised in the early years of the GDR.
- The works are unified - surprisingly, given the figurativeness of the show - by abstract elements used by all of the artists.
- That figurativeness was really funny.
Middle English: from late Latin figurativus, from figurare 'to form or fashion', from figura (see figure).
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda