Definición de figure en inglés:
- The Bank's move came despite today's official figures showing inflation rising to its highest level for two years.
- Those are not figures that are just plucked out of the air; they are official police figures used to compile statistics.
- It cites official figures that show crime rising steadily over 40 years.
- They don't want you to know that reps are working about 20 to 30 hours a week while pulling down close to six-figure salaries.
- Our inflation rate has been in single figures, moving between 2 percent and 4 percent.
- One of these youths stole a four-figure sum from me recently and I am now very apprehensive.
- In the 18 months since the meters were introduced, they had not even managed to bring in half of the break-even figure of about £4,500.
- Within the letter, the figure of ‘$500,000 a year’ is noted repeatedly.
- The gross for the final session was up 14.2% over last year's figure of $1,160,500.
- The man thought this over for a few seconds, calculating figures in his head.
- Lee took the maps and calibrators and ran a few figures and calculations and looked at the Admiral.
- His father sent him off to college to study business administration, but Gallagher says he wasn't any good at figures.
- He couldn't sleep at night, only thinking of her slim and attractive figure with a good-natured mind.
- The pants really flattered her figure.
- She will be proud to show her figure as she will pose in sexy lingerie of her choice.
- She squinted suddenly at what appeared to be two figures in the distance.
- A dark figure emerged from one side of the street and another from the other side.
- She screamed even louder when the door suddenly opened and a dark figure suddenly appeared.
- Small clay figures, human and animal, were modelled and placed as offerings on mountain peak sanctuaries.
- The modeling and outline of the figures showed sculptural solidity.
- Sumida pottery is a heavy, brightly glazed pottery and often has human and animal figures attached as reliefs.
- It was decided that portraits of historical figures who have made important contributions to culture and art should be sculptured.
- The main figure on whom Baxter relied was Randall.
- In many cases it is perfectly reasonable to accept the conclusions of authority figures one trusts.
- In particular he proved that the sphere was the solid figure of greatest surface area for a given volume.
- Now if you thought these lines referred to geometric figures, you would not be too far wrong.
- He observed that ideas of shapes or figures, like the triangle, were ideas of things he had not invented or conjured up.
- The book utilizes tables and figures effectively to illustrate the main concepts of each chapter.
- The text is well illustrated with excellent diagrams, sketches and figures.
- The data from each plate were then graphed and analyzed (Figure 1A).
- In receiving the award Jered follows in his mother's footsteps - she is listed on the trophy three times, as a gold test skater in figures, freestyle, and pairs.
- For the rare skater who is still involved in skating figures, one final aspect of the used blades market is the practice of converting used freestyle blades into patch blades.
- It has dance movements, or figures, that might remind you of traditional square dancing.
- Included are figure dancing, solo dancing, recitations, music and novelty acts.
- Most Irish figure dancing or step dancing is carried on behind closed doors.
- Their textures are dominated by right-hand melodies against chordal accompaniment figures.
- Melodic figures are treated circularly, giving the piece a minimalist sound.
- Every melodic figure had its replica, every phrase, its counterpoise in his music.
verbo[no object] Volver al principio
- Now, however, imagine her rescue figuring on the nightly analysis slot of some channel.
- The Clark holdings played no small part in these events; they also figured prominently in the critical counterpunch.
- It feels as if Haentjens has things to say about Plath that don't figure in this novel.
- You won't even have to rack your brains over calculating taxes since they've already figured it out for you on the menu.
- The change in tree cover over time was figured by comparing Landsat TM satellite images from 1985 and 2001.
- I figure that a bodybuilder has to eat at least six times a day to grow, which is 42 meals a week.
- He figured this person would make an excellent singer.
- Investors figure that the purchaser will pay a high price for the company.
- I stood up, walked around, drank some water and figured it was just a passing phase.
- That figured and didn't surprise him, though he wished Harry would just have a normal conversation instead of locking him in a room.
- It would figure that this great hog, this glorified genre gourmand, would want more.
- Sure, that figures, if you're going to drive with that kind of load at high speed you're bound to damage something.
- An adopted daughter, who would not be represented in the tree that is figured, would nevertheless form part of the unit.
- There is something very odd about the way the revolution is figured, and the oddness goes beyond the closing scene.
- Losing oneself in the movie is not figured as pleasurable, but sets up, rather, a mode of helplessness in the face of an opaque and fragmented story line.
- The shapes are highly varied - cylinders, prisms, animals - and the designs range from abstract patterns to figured images of people and animals.
- It has superbly figured timber, a majestic curvaceous profile and spectacular mounts that echo in gilt-bronze the carved detail on the jewel cabinet.
- Reflecting the changing styles, the single-cutaway guitar featured a flat, figured maple top.
figure of fun
- A person who is considered ridiculous.Oraciones de ejemplo
- Jesters of the past, though figures of fun at the royal court, were often highly intelligent men whose quick wit and sharp tongue both diverted the monarch and reminded him of his mortality.
- They started out as figures of fun, but I felt their perspectives ought to be as valid as anyone else's in the book.
- Hair thinning, waists thickening, faces falling, they are held up to us as figures of fun.
lose (or keep) one's figure
- Lose (or retain) a slim and attractive bodily shape.Oraciones de ejemplo
- He shops and cooks for her - ‘I fell in love and lost my figure’ - and she is deliriously happy.
- Why worry about life - you'll only end up losing your figure!
- Mother, I can hardly expect to attract Evan's attention if I don't keep my figure.
put a figure on
- Give a price or exact number for.Oraciones de ejemplo
- But he was reluctant to put a figure on the reduced price.
- I wouldn't go as far as putting a figure on it though.
- Although I can't put a figure on it because we haven't costed the scheme, resurfacing the road would be incredibly expensive and we haven't got the money to do it.
Verbos con partícula
- North American informal Expect (something) to happen or be the case: anyone thinking of salmon fishing should figure on paying $200 a dayMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I wasn't expecting another plane, I figured on a car to take us to Hot Springs,’ Muriel said.
- We weren't counting how many people would be bereft if we died, because we weren't figuring on dying.
- I had figured on being serious at some points - writing my usual novel length posts about life and the world - but this has been much more entertaining for me.
figure something out
- informal Solve or discover the cause of a problem: he was trying to figure out why the camera wasn’t workingMás ejemplos en oraciones
work out, make out, fathom, reason, puzzle out, decipher, solve, ascertain, make sense of, think out, think through, get to the bottom of, find an answer/solution to, unravel, untangle;calculate, compute, reckon, assessBritish informal suss out
- And we will have figured it out for no other reason than to know.
- Most jurors like to believe that they can really figure this whole puzzle out a little better than the lawyers can.
- Finally, I would say, please understand that I am still figuring this thing out, just like everybody else.
figure someone out
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Her figureless images juxtapose the natural with the manmade with surprising results: The more we humans manipulate the earth, the more dehumanized it appears.
- The floor has been darkened and Rotman's figureless photographs are lit from behind.
- From the perspective of Hunt's realist intentions he had no other option than to paint a figureless composition, an option that converged with his frustration with the local Jewish community.
Middle English (in the senses 'distinctive shape of a person or thing', 'representation of something material or immaterial', and 'numerical symbol', among others): from Old French figure (noun), figurer (verb), from Latin figura 'shape, figure, form'; related to fingere 'form, contrive'.
The word figure, which comes ultimately from Latin figura ‘shape, figure, form’ came into English with the same wide range of meanings it has today, from ‘distinctive shape of a person’, ‘representation of something’, to ‘numerical symbol’.
Palabras que riman con figurechigger, configure, Frigga, jigger, ligger, rigger, rigor, rigour, snigger, swigger, transfigure, trigger, vigour (US vigor)
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.