- 1 (often fittings) A small part on or attached to a piece of furniture or equipment: the wooden fittings were made of walnutMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The solid mahogany bar fittings and furniture and deep pile furnishings sets the tone of the club.
- There was a massive kitchen at Dom's house with loads of matching wooden cupboards with brass fittings.
- The choice is unlimited, ranging from marbles, bathroom fittings to furniture to wall paintings and even safe lockers, all of which make a distinct impression to the visitor.
- 1.1 (fittings) chiefly British Items, such as a cooker or shelves, which are fixed in a building but can be removed when the owner moves: little remains of the house’s Victorian fittings Compare with fixture ( sense 1).Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He also stated that he wanted a qualified electrician to remove a CCTV camera and some other fittings from the stud buildings.
- It would be relatively easy for the new owner to remove these fittings and restore the room to a double bedroom.
- English Heritage noted that many of the internal fittings had been removed and concluded the building was not one of architect William Trent's best buildings, and therefore it was not worth saving.
- 2 [mass noun] The action of fitting something: the fitting of new engines by the shipyardMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The cost of fitting each sized engine was then reduced to a permanent standard.
- The development team agreed to a two-week period in which to complete fitting of the engine, ahead of ground running that began March 18.
- They hope to turn the 105 ft boat into a practical training zone where youngsters learn skills such as plumbing, gas fitting, carpentry, electronics and mechanics.
- 2.1 [count noun] An occasion when one tries on a garment that is being made or altered for one: she’s coming tomorrow for a fittingMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Apparently, Camilla had six outfit fittings and 10 hat fittings, and a final dress rehearsal before settling on the final dress.
- If you give them your measurements in advance you ought to be okay - I've had both black and white tie from there without fittings and it's been okay.
- Plus, who wants to book a bunch of wedding dress fittings between check-ups and upchucks?
adjetivoVolver al principio
- 1Suitable or appropriate under the circumstances; right or proper: a fitting reward [with clause]: it was fitting that his last innings for Middlesex should bring him his highest first-class scoreMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Am I to take it that you think it is an appropriate, a proper, and a fitting situation that you judge it?
- Armed with disposable cameras, students endeavoured to capture their views of the town and title each shot with an appropriate and fitting caption.
- These were fitting and appropriate words to draw the public's attention to the contribution the Navy made to the ‘Great War’.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- ‘I can think of no other person who could be more fittingly awarded the freedom of the borough,’ he added.
- A new initiative aimed at making York residents proud of their city is to be launched - fittingly, on St George's Day.
- Rather fittingly, this played when I shut down my PC as I left to go home.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In architecture and landscape design there is a renewed attention to the classical languages of building, ornament, fittingness to the environment and humane proportion.
- Establishing the trustworthiness of the findings from qualitative data is important and involved considering factors such as credibility, auditability, and fittingness.
- Congruent with the term transferability, the concepts of applicability and fittingness also have been used in the literature.