- 1 (often be fixated on/upon) Cause (someone) to develop an obsessive attachment to someone or something: he became fixated on the idea of a Third World WarMás ejemplos en oraciones
obsessed with, preoccupied with/by, obsessive about, single-minded about, possessed by, gripped by, in the grip of; engrossed in, immersed in, taken up with, wrapped up in; devoted to, dedicated to; enthusiastic about, fanatical about; infatuated with, besotted with; focused, keen, hell-bent• informal hung up on, hooked on, gone on, wild on, nuts about, potty about, dotty about, crazy about
- It turned out that a teenage girl was fixated with the idea of vampires and she gained a following in the area of other like-minded teenagers.
- For some reason, I'm seriously fixated with Judd.
- I'm fixated with reality itself, with what it means to exist, what is beyond this reality - questions that nobody knows the answers to.
- 1.1 [no object] (fixate on/upon) Develop a fixation with: erotomaniacs are convinced that the person they have fixated on loves them in returnMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The electoral system has been highjacked by two factions of the same party catering to elite interests, and fixated upon inflexible beliefs and policies suited to yesteryears problems.
- David L Smith of New Jersey wrote the Melissa mass mailing virus, which he released in March 1999, reportedly as a ‘tribute’ to a Florida lap dancer he was fixated upon.
- Essentially, the ‘fetish’ is identified by Freud as something that is fixated upon as a substitute or representative for sex, and thus is inextricably linked to the sexual act.
- 1.2(In Freudian theory) arrest (a person or their libidinal energy) at an immature stage, causing an obsessive attachment: an individual may have been fixated at one stage of developmentMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Both neurotics and perverts, therefore, were fixated at early stages of sexual development, but dealt with this fixation differently.
- ‘Normal’ development proceeded along this path, but the development could be fixated at the earlier stages.
- 2 • technical Direct one’s eyes towards: subjects fixated a central pointMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Four observers viewed the display shown in Figure 1, and fixated the central cross.
- Specifically, there was a tendency to fixate objects sharing the target's contrast polarity and shape and this did not change even upon transfer to the new target.
- We defined inspection behavior as an approach toward the model predator in a tentative manner while visually fixating the model predator.
Más definiciones de fixateDefinición de fixate en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.