Definición de flagellum en inglés:
sustantivo (plural flagella /-lə/)Biology
A slender thread-like structure, especially a microscopic whip-like appendage which enables many protozoa, bacteria, spermatozoa, etc. to swim.
- Development of the spermatid flagellum begins immediately after meiosis.
- This study was designed to learn how well the flagella of groups of bacteria might move fluid in a microscopic environment.
- Cilia and flagella are hairlike organelles extending from the cell surface.
early 19th century (denoting a whip or scourge): from Latin, diminutive of flagrum 'scourge'.
- Example sentences
- In most cases, this was confirmed by the observation of the flagellar axoneme in additional serial sections.
- If you knock out the flagella motor then the flagella is paralysed and flagellar secretion continues, but at reduced rate.
- The flagellar filament, the bacterial organelle of motility, is the smallest rotary propeller known.
Definición de flagellum en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan