1An incoming tide.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- During a flood tide, turbulent overfalls with strong up-and-down currents form at the north end.
- They are likely to feed right throughout the flood tide and probably for an hour on the ebb, then disappear.
- The jacks are quiet at Brunswick but bream and whiting are in healthy sizes throughout on a flood tide.
1.1An overwhelming quantity or amount of people or things: the trickle of tourists has become a flood tide
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The Justice Department says it's overwhelmed by what it calls a flood tide of immigration cases.
- Pacificism grew during the 1920s, reaching a flood tide in the twelve years after the war.
- If this is to happen, it will pose fundamental questions about journalism and its diminishing ability to keep its head above the flood tide of propaganda when war begins.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: flood tide
Definición de flood tide en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda