sustantivo (plural foremen)
- 1A male worker who supervises and directs other workers.Más ejemplos en oraciones
supervisor, overseer, superintendent, manager, manageress, boss, team leader, line manager, controller; foreperson; British chargehand, captain, ganger; Scottish grieve; South African induna; in the Indian subcontinent maistryAustralian • informal pannikin bossMining overman
- For management officials and industrial arbitrators, male aggression towards foremen and supervisors was far more serious than such behavior toward fellow workers.
- The phrase ‘too many chefs spoil the broth’ may apply to 20-man committees or a glut of foremen and not enough workers, but rarely does actually apply to chefs.
- They were never the foreman, never the worker, always the guy that ordered stuff or coordinated stuff.
- 2(In a law court) a person who presides over a jury and speaks on its behalf.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It was the foreman speaking on behalf of the jury, as I understand it, your Honour.
- A short retirement can reflect the compelling nature of the evidence, or equally the skill of the foreman in handling the jury's discussions.
- When they appeared in the jury box, the foreman handed the judge a note.
Middle English: perhaps suggested by Dutch voorman (compare with German Vormann).