verbo (fortifies, fortifying, fortified)[with object]
- 1Provide (a place) with defensive works as protection against attack: the whole town was heavily fortified (as adjective fortified) a fortified manor houseMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He immediately set up a defensive perimeter and fortified his area.
- I came in from the sides like a well drilled eighteenth century army attacking some fortified town in the Low Countries.
- Achieving both can fortify a region militarily and put its economy on par with the world's best.
- 1.1Strengthen (someone) mentally or physically: the girl was fortified by her religious faithMás ejemplos en oraciones
invigorate, strengthen, energize, enliven, liven up, animate, vitalize, rejuvenate, restore, revive, refresh; galvanize, dynamize, fire up, rouse, motivate, boost, perk up, stimulate, inspire, pick up, embolden, give courage to, encourage, cheer, hearten, buoy up, reassure, make confident, brace, sustain• informal pep up, buck up, give a shot in the arm to• rare activate, inspirit
- Teaching involved so much giving out, and the painting returned to Bill a strength that fortified him for his teaching.
- This power surged from his heart and dispersed to every cell in his body: it fortified him by strengthening his stamina, and increasing his reflexes.
- After this brief meeting, we were fortified with some basic knowledge about our surroundings, and we were able to forge ahead to explore on our own.
- 2 (often as adjective fortified) Add spirits to (wine) to make port, sherry, etc.: fortified wineMás ejemplos en oraciones
add spirits/alcohol to, strengthen
- Depending on the style of the wine, sherry is fortified with grape spirit known as aguardiente to between 15.5 and 22 per cent.
- The family of sweet fortified wines include Port, Madeira, Malmsey, Vermouth and Muscat de Beaumes de Venise.
- Spirit or fortified wine is heated gently (in a ladle or small pan) until the alcohol it contains begins to vaporize, then ignited, poured over the food, and allowed to burn.
- 2.1Increase the nutritive value of (food) by adding vitamins.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Because many American foods are fortified with vitamin A, deficiency is very rare in individuals who do not have certain chronic intestinal illnesses.
- The body more readily absorbs folic acid from vitamin supplements and fortified foods than folate from food.
- Margarine is fortified with added vitamins A and D to bring their levels up to those naturally present in butter.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Distance from the likely west coast anchorage to the fortifiable peninsula is about 25 nautical miles.
- School based screening, usually performed by a school nurse, is a fortifiable process for mass screening.
- If this meant the relinquishment of territory to achieve dominant and fortifiable terrain and features, so be it.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In fact, according to the country's regulations on food fortifiers, milk is not on the list of those foods to which calcium can be legally added.
- Mother's milk alone cannot meet all the nutrient needs of very low birthweight infants, and therefore the addition of a commercial human milk fortifier during early life is recommended.
- Mix the grout with a mixture of 50/50 water and grout fortifier.
late Middle English: from French fortifier, from late Latin fortificare, from Latin fortis 'strong'.