1A military stronghold, especially a strongly fortified town.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- World War I saw the evolution of a new fortification setup combining field strongholds with fortresses.
- City walls, towers, churches, and fortresses strongly connect Estonians to the past.
- Most contemporary commanders used their troops in a slow, expensive, attritional warfare based on sieges of selected fortified cities or fortresses.
1.1A person or thing not susceptible to outside influence or disturbance: he had proved himself to be a fortress of moral rectitude
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- No nation can erect a fortress against influenza - not even the world's wealthiest country.
- A paranoid fortress mentality has unfortunately gripped the government policy makers in the most underpopulated country on earth.
- But already we pay a price, levied not in blood but in freedom, as a fortress mentality seeps into the national culture.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: fort|ress
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda