número (plural forties)
- 1The number equivalent to the product of four and ten; ten less than fifty; 40: York was only forty miles away forty were arrested there were about thirty or forty of them (Roman numeral: xl or XL)Más ejemplos en oraciones
- They met men confined to prison for thirty, forty, or fifty years, no one knowing why they were there in the first place.
- The latter is used as a frame in section four, where forty pros and cons of paper versus electronic products are reviewed.
- Mr O'Neill said in the first three years of the operation of the anti-drugs scheme between forty and fifty players had been tested each year.
- 1.1 (forties) The numbers from forty to forty-nine, especially the years of a century or of a person’s life: Terry was in his early fortiesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Like most female professionals, women of my age in their forties and fifties dress conservatively.
- He was described as being aged in his late forties or fifties, with short, straight, grey hair.
- Five men, all aged in their thirties or forties, were arrested at the scene.
- 1.2Forty years old: a tall woman of about fortyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Both feature works created since 2000 by artists who are predominantly under forty years of age.
- What happens with friendships undertaken at the age of forty?
- At the age of forty, calculations of long-term self-interest have largely prevailed over hormones.
- 1.3Forty miles an hour: they were doing about fortyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Mac nodded, turning on the Jeep and pulling out of the driveway at forty miles per hour.
- Something catches the driver's eye at forty miles per hour through the congested street.
- None of us had a radar gun today, but I'm guessing Jimmy was topping out at forty miles per hour.
- • informal A short sleep, especially during the day: I could do with forty winks right nowMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I don't think I could sleep forty winks tonight.
- But before you switch off your mobile, blissfully catch forty winks and let your voice mail pile up, remember that message retrieval costs Rs.1.50 per minute.
- So it's back to passive browsing through some of my favourite blogs, excluding the Australian bloggers who, unlike me, are catching up on their forty winks.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- With the rail network in a parlous and overcrowded state and with a new round of cuts in the offing, it is apposite that 27 March is the fortieth anniversary of the infamous Beeching Report.
- November 23rd is the fortieth anniversary of the transmission of the first ever episode of one of the BBC's most well-known shows, Doctor Who.
- Western Care continues to be one of the longest established charities in Mayo and this coming year the Association will celebrate its fortieth anniversary.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Over the last 15 years, occurrences of S. enteritidis food poisoning have increased fourfold in the United States and fortyfold in Europe.
- The argument should also be put to Genesis Power, a State-owned enterprise whose 2003-04 rates bill has increased fortyfold.
- The gap between the richest and poorest one-fifths of the world is now about onehundredfold, whereas 30 years ago it was about thirtyfold or fortyfold.
Más definiciones de fortyDefinición de forty en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.