Definición de freshet en inglés:
1The flood of a river from heavy rain or melted snow.
- Particularly high spring freshets would flood the quarries and put off the opening of the season.
- Natural freshets, prolonged infusions of freshwater from the rain or rivers, can kill oysters in a matter of weeks, and Fox suspected that something similar had destroyed his crop.
- Remember, the Fraser cutthroat fishery is hugely impacted, if not terminated, when the freshet begins.
1.1A rush of fresh water flowing into the sea.
- The springs and freshets which had been loosed in the course of the city's excavation had also been trained, and streams ran cheerfully down rough, natural-looking beds carefully inset into the smooth floors of passages and halls.
- This was perhaps due to the fall-spawning habit of the brook trout; the eggs of the spring-spawning rainbow and cutthroat were more likely to be washed out by freshets following spring snowmelt.
- As spring freshets go in British Columbia's Central Interior, the year 2000 was relatively sane.
late 16th century: probably from Old French freschete, diminutive of freis 'fresh'.
Definición de freshet en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary