- 1A strip of gathered or pleated material sewn on to a garment or larger piece of material as a decorative edging or ornament.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It was pink, with frills around the collar and bottom hem.
- The sleeves of the shirt were, thanks to Allicia, immaculately black, the frills of the cuffs ruffled lightly.
- There were tucks and folds and frills and bows and lace and rhinestones and embroidery and ribbons all over it.
- 1.1A thing resembling a frill in appearance or function: tiny frills of foam glistened white on the seaMás ejemplos en oraciones
- To overcome the wax problem one may use a paper frill, or a silver foil mince pie container to create a collar containing the wax.
- One variety has double flowers that are a mass of frills but it almost seems like too much perfection in one flower.
- In his book on orchids he documents the elaborate frills and furbelows, gimmicks and traps, that lure and exploit insect pollinators, thereby ensuring cross-fertilization.
- 1.2A natural fringe of feathers or hair on a bird or other animal.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- These reptiles are often ornamented with a crest of scales along the back, as well as assorted spines, frills, and throat fans; all this gives them a remarkably prehistoric appearance.
- 1.3 Palaeontology An upward-curving bony plate extending behind the skull of many ceratopsian dinosaurs.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Their ornamented dome may have served as a communication system that was primarily visual within species, analogous to the crests, horns, and frills of ceratopsid dinosaurs.
- On some Triceratops fossils, both on the face and on the frill (the only plate extending back over its neck), there are healed puncture wounds.
- For example, let's say you've got an eight-foot long skull of a Triceratops-like dinosaur adorned with horns over the nose and eyes, and an elongated bony frill sticking out behind.
- 2 (usually frills) An unnecessary extra feature or embellishment: it was just a comfortable flat with no frillsMás ejemplos en oraciones
ostentation, ornamentation, decoration, embellishment, fanciness, fuss, chichi, garnishing, garnishment, gilding, excess; trimmings, affectations, extras, additions, non-essentials, luxuries, extravagances, superfluities
- In an article last October, I described how my wife and I planned to chop around £800 a month from our expenses by cutting back on unnecessary luxuries, frills and trimmings.
- It's as nice a defensive pistol as you can buy, with every feature needed and no unnecessary frills.
- ‘Our clients are paying for our services, not the extra frills of working from the glassy palaces of Covent Garden,’ he said.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- To my delight, it really is frilled and ruffled.
- The petals may be overlapped, recurved, frilled, crinkled or ruffled.
- She wore a conservative blouse of dark cream chiffon, with a high, frilled collar and ruffles up the front.
late 16th century: from or related to Flemish frul.