1A large seabird with mainly white plumage, which catches fish by plunging into the water.
- Genus Morus (or Sula), family Sulidae: three species, in particular the northern gannet (M. bassanus) of the North Atlantic (also called solan goose)
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Here, you can watch seabirds such as gannets and puffins up close - or stay inside and watch live videos, using remote control television cameras, from the nearby seabird colonies.
- While there are few wild animals in Iceland, there is abundant birdlife - ducks, geese and, among the many sea-birds I spotted, petrels, puffins, tern, gannets, skuas and shearwaters.
- Usually you can expect to see great numbers of pelagic birds - gannets, shearwaters, jaegers, storm-petrels, alcids - that live mainly at sea.
Old English ganot, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch gent 'gander', also to gander.
Definición de gannet en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.