A tough-coated dormant cluster of embryonic cells produced by a freshwater sponge for development in more favourable conditions.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Development consisted of the orderly assembly and expression of the gemmules transmitted via the parental germ cells to the progeny.
- Some species also form internal buds, called gemmules, which can survive extremely unfavorable conditions that cause the rest of the sponge to die.
- These gemmules circulate throughout the body, and each sex cell eventually accumulates a full set.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- In cold regions, gemmulation occurs in winter, and the inactive gemmules are said to hibernate; in warm regions, gemmulation occurs in summer, and the gemmules are said to estivate.
- In his description of the new species, he reported that the fungus appeared in the tissues as spherical to ovoid cells, measuring 3 to 30 µm in diameter, with multiple buds or simple gemmulation.
Mid 19th century: from French, from Latin gemmula, diminutive of gemma 'bud, jewel'.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: gem|mule
Definición de gemmule en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda