- 1Of or characteristic of the reigns of the British Kings George I-IV (1714–1830).Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Historians know it too as the home of Tudor kingmakers, of Georgian kings and of the artists who followed in their train.
- Whig historiography was to sideline the Georgian court; instead, Parliament was seen as the Crown's dominant partner after the Glorious Revolution.
- If the railways marked the difference between Georgian and Victorian cities then the car has surely differentiated post-Victorian cities from their predecessors.
- 1.1Relating to British architecture of the Georgian period, characterized by restrained elegance and the use of neoclassical styles.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- As a result, the cottages echo the hotel's classical Georgian architecture, but vernacular details such as clapboard siding and wood porches are also evident.
- When Old Town's residential neighborhood devolved into a slum, the city planners laid out New Town in the elegant Georgian style of the late 18th century.
- Liverpool has more listed buildings than any British city outside London and more Georgian architecture than Bath.
- 2Of or characteristic of the reigns of the British Kings George V and VI (1910–52).Más ejemplos en oraciones
- As early as 1924, Georgian organizations were founded in San Francisco and in New York City.
- 2.1Relating to British literature of 1910–20, in particular pastoral poetry of a type strongly attacked by the early modernists.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Some critics accuse Hyde of producing ‘dreamlike’ poetry that never really rises above the tinkle of Georgian verse.
- It seems to me he was too self-consciously imitative of his patrons in the Georgian poetry movement.
- Thus, Clarissa enacts the succession from Stuart theatrics to the Georgian novel.
- Relating to the country of Georgia, its people, or their language.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Every endeavour should be made to get an interpreter in the Georgian language to assist the applicant to understand the proceedings on that day.
- The Georgian language features a frequent recurrence of the sounds ts, ds, thz, kh, khh, gh.
- Adjarians speak the Gurian dialect of the Georgian language.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- 1A native or inhabitant of Georgia, or a person of Georgian descent.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Some national elites, especially the Chechens, Azeris and Georgians, accuse the country of fomenting the conflicts and of destabilizing the region.
- According to traditional Georgian accounts, Georgians are descendants of Thargamos, the great-grandson of Japhet, son of the Biblical Noah.
- Exposed to modern European ideas of nationalism under Russian tutelage, Georgians began calling for greater Georgian independence.
- 2 [mass noun] The official language of Georgia, spoken by around 4 million people. It is the main member of the small South Caucasian (or Kartvelian) language family, and has its own alphabet.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The majority language is Georgian, which belongs to the Kartvelian language group.
- The official language is Georgian, but Russian is used as a second language.
- They had to think about what might happen if they were seen to be encouraging the overthrow of those in power in the ethnic minority regions, where many people don't speak Georgian - in the Armenian area, for instance.
- Relating to the state of Georgia in the US.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- When a New Yorker next to him called attention to his Georgian accent, he replied, ‘We don't have an accent anymore.’
- That mattered in 1976, when Georgian Jimmy Carter beat Arizona Congressman Morris Udall and went on to win.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- A native or inhabitant of Georgia.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Although attacked by the farmers, officials with the U. S. Department of Agriculture shared many assumptions with the Georgians.
- This is an attractive design around which all Georgians of mutual respect can rally.
- If this group is really concerned about preserving Southern heritage, I hope they will join me in voting for a flag that all Georgians can take pride in.