sustantivo[mass noun] Botany
The growth of the parts of plants in response to the force of gravity. The upward growth of plant shoots is an instance of negative geotropism; the downward growth of roots is positive geotropism.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- It was shown that gaseous ethylene inhibits both growth and geotropism in plants, and ethylene is endogenously produced by fruits.
- Geotropism occurs in two forms: positive geotropism to which the root responds by growing downward; and a negative geotropism, which causes the stem to grow upward.
- Transversal geotropism is a direction of growth that is vertical to the shoot axis.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Seed viability was assessed using the criterion of normal seedling development, i.e. emergence of the hypocotyl, radicle geotropic growth, and the opening of cotyledonary leaves.
- Cholodny proposed that ‘growth hormones play an essential role in the mechanism of the geotropic reaction’.
- These stem adaptations, combined with the presence of adventitious roots and negatively geotropic roots in nitrogen-fixing alders, facilitate the supply of oxygen in waterlogged soils.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: geo|trop¦ism
Definición de geotropism en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda