Definición de ghat en inglés:
1(In South Asia) a flight of steps leading down to a river.
- Consequently, I spent most of my time in the field engaging with boatmen and other locals working on the ghats (landing steps leading to the river).
- Indian poets speak of the splendor of dawn here, when the golden sun shines on temple spires and ashrams, when thousands of pilgrims flock to the broad sandstone steps called ghats.
- Once, planning to shoot birds in flight, I took up position one morning on the ghat.
1.1 (also burning ghat) A level place on the edge of a river where Hindus cremate their dead.
- During this testimony, we see scenes of a Hindu funeral procession in India, which ends at a cremation ghat.
- Familiar river scenes are shown as the boat ride progresses, such as a cow carcass floating in the river, the renowned cremation ghats and locals, as well as pilgrims, performing ritual ablutions.
- Down at the cremation ghats, life - and death - continued as normal, irrespective of the tide of pilgrims swirling about them.
from Hindi ghāṭ.
Definición de ghat en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan