- 1(In South Asia) a flight of steps leading down to a river.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Consequently, I spent most of my time in the field engaging with boatmen and other locals working on the ghats (landing steps leading to the river).
- Indian poets speak of the splendor of dawn here, when the golden sun shines on temple spires and ashrams, when thousands of pilgrims flock to the broad sandstone steps called ghats.
- Once, planning to shoot birds in flight, I took up position one morning on the ghat.
- 1.1 (also burning ghat) A level place on the edge of a river where Hindus cremate their dead.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- During this testimony, we see scenes of a Hindu funeral procession in India, which ends at a cremation ghat.
- Familiar river scenes are shown as the boat ride progresses, such as a cow carcass floating in the river, the renowned cremation ghats and locals, as well as pilgrims, performing ritual ablutions.
- Down at the cremation ghats, life - and death - continued as normal, irrespective of the tide of pilgrims swirling about them.
- 2(In South Asia) a mountain pass.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- If you are planning a sojourn on hilly terrain, sloping mountains or steep ghats, then this is the place.
- The drive down the ghats to the coast is breathtaking.
- Walking along the ghats to the Bhutanatha temples brought one to two priceless images.
from Hindi ghāṭ.
Más definiciones de ghatDefinición de ghat en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.